Saturday 6 February 2010

que bueno.

I spent the day at the famous camden market and saw a totally different london.
I didn't know this city could be so crazy, colorful and eclectic. Despite the mob of people, this market felt genuinely london and local, as opposed to touristy. The best way for me to describe camden market would be nyc's st. mark's place on crack. It is infinitely crazier and infinitely bigger. I spent almost 4 hours there, and didn't see all of it.
like st. mark's place, it had a lot of clothing, especially goth/punk and vintage, and a lot of tattoo/piercing parlors.
not necessarily super cheap, but the ambiance is great. the cobblestone paths were brilliant, as the british say.

hands down, the BEST part of camden market was definitely the FOOD. it had an authentic street food kind of atmosphere, with tons of different cuisines including spanish, turkish, polish, italian, argentinian, peruvian, japanese, chinese and the list goes on...

I had a cornbread pocket thingy with chicken, avocado and cheese and it was DELICIOUS! and it was only £4. I know it's not $2 falafel sandwiches or $1/slice pizza, but that's as cheap as london food gets. and of course, after walking around so much, i had to have a nutella crepe. yummmmm

My favorite part of the day was when I bought my silver ring at one of the jewelry stands. I heard the shopkeeper speak in spanish, so i asked her where she was from and she said "barcelona." So, i told her "hablo un poquito espanol," and she answered "que bueno. puedes practicar conmigo." (how great. you can practice it with me.) so we chatted for about 10 minutes, and she told me that i have a beautiful accent. then, she gave me £1 discount off my ring, and told me i should visit her during the weekends. yay espanol.



1 comment:

  1. Ha! I loved the photo of the pocket watches glinting, and the little Spanish story was delightful! :) SO glad you are keeping a blog! Keep it up! LOVE YOU.
    -Libs

    ReplyDelete