Friday 5 February 2010

just for fun.

This is my attempt to share my stories and chronicle my random thoughts.
Like the title says, this blog is just for fun and just for a few people who are curious about what's going on during my day and in my head. Also, I wanted to share my experience exploring London, and traveling Europe.

This is my story of why I finally decided to keep a blog:
I was wandering through the Tate Britain today and I noticed myself jotting down titles of interesting pieces, new artists, or random facts I wanted to remember, on my museum floor plan. I have a tendency to do this while I'm at museums, except I never revisit my scribbles on these scraps of paper. So, today I decided to start a blog as a way of keeping track of my observations, and also sharing them with other people. My blogposts will be most likely be random, disorganized and in list form, because that's the way my scribbles are.

So today I was particularly moved by my experience in the Turner collection at the Tate Britain.

JMW TURNER. late 18th - mid 19th century British Romantic artist. I wasn't a huge fan of his work when I studied it in art history class. thought it was just "pretty." but i must say, actually seeing them made me realize that they are really beautiful, and also moving.

"The Field of Waterloo" - This piece made me realize, once again, there is nothing like seeing an art piece in the flesh. the detail of the weeping women and the vulnerable infant in the foreground.
"London from Greenwich Park" - vs. photo that I took when i visited greenwich
Varnishing Day - the day set aside for artists of the Royal Academy to add finishing touches to their pieces. except, Turner, the rebel, would intentionally leave his pieces 75% unfinished so he can spontaneously finish them on Varnshing day.

warm/cool colors. shades of white.

"The Donaga, San Giorgio, Citella from the Steps of the Europa" - Turner and Venice. I remember visiting Venice last summer, and it really was as beautiful and "evanescent" as Turner painted it. (disregard the gross red block letters)

"Caligula's Palace and Bridge" + "The Blue Rigi, Sunrise,1842" - "water color as an art form"
myth of Hesperides.

posting pictures are a lot harder than i thought, so not sure how often that'll happen, but i'll try my best.
yay, that was my first post.

- koo




No comments:

Post a Comment