Friday 26 February 2010

eating a mango at 1am.

I'd like to share my day as I am eating a mango at 1am on Saturday.

I had an excellent friday.
I managed to be really productive and finished the paper that I've been working on. Then at 5pm, my friend and I went to the annual Welsh farmer's market at Golden Square near piccadilly circus. Piccadilly circus reminds me very much of nyc's times square. bright billboard's, neon signs, mobs of people and the theatre district.

The Welsb market takes place to celebrate St. David's Day, which is the Welsh equivalent of Irish St. Patrick's Day except with less drinking. The farmer's market had all different sorts of Welch goodies, including cakes, fudge, chocolate, cheese and meet. Though it was more underwhelming than I expected it to be, the market was small and quaint. We walked around the market trying all different samples of local welsh goods. I bought some toffee wafers and fudge. While walking around, this old man selling smooth cheese generously offered to give us two cases of cheese for free, but we were so touched so we paid for one and still got another for free.

After an hour at the market, we went to dinner at a cute little spanish tapas place. I realized that I have had very few sit down meals sit my first week in london, so it was great to have real food that wasn't a sandwich or pitta and hummus. It was also good to have a real conversation with someone over dinner. More and more, i've come to appreciate and enjoy 1:1 conversations more than big, potentially awkward, group situations. we had arugula salad, bread with olive oil and balsamic, croquettas de pollo (chicken croquettes) and albondigas (spanish meatballs). and they were all delicious. we really wanted sangria but it was rather expensive, so we just opted for tap water. I really wanted to practice my spanish with them, but I was too invested in my food and couldn't muster the courage to speak to them for some reason.

After a nice long dinner, we went to a movie theatre on Haymarket St. to watch "A Single Man" starring Colin Firth. I read many reviews about how great the film was, and not at all on what the movie was actually about, so I wasn't sure what to expect. However, i was pleasantly surprised by the story of the film and enjoyed it very much. Colin Firth was excellent, but more importantly the film was aesthetically beautiful. the cinematography was breaktaking and the music was beautiful was well.

The movie ended around 11, so we came back to our beloved king's cross and went to smithy's a small local bar/wine bar. There, we had a fun conversation and I came back to my room and now I'm eating a mango because i'm hungry. But all in all, it was a great day because I managed to accomplish so much, but more importantly, I felt like I had a really genuine interaction with another student here.

as I finish this blog post, I just finished my last slice of mango, which probably means it's time for me to go to bed. good night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment